There are a number of fireplace accessories that can help to improve the appearance, safety, and functionality of your fireplace. Here are some commonly purchased accessories and their purpose.
- Fireplace screens come in various designs. They can be spark guard, flat guard, tri-fold, etc. Not only do they add a touch of elegance to your fireplace, but they also provide a level of protection from the high levels of heat coming from your fireplace.
- A fireplace insert can burn wood, gas, or pellets and gets inserted in an existing masonry fireplace that is no longer in use.
- Stove boards/hearth pads come in many different designs and fireproof materials. They protect the floor underneath your stove as well as the wall behind it.
- Fireplace doors and stove doors enhance safety, reduce intensity of heat, add style, and improve efficiency of heat.
- Hearth rugs add style to your fireplace. They are tough and fire resistant.
- A fireback, or back plate, is a heavy cast iron object positioned up against the back interior of your fireplace. They date back as far as the 15th century AD and what they do is provide a form of protection for that back fireplace wall.
- Ash buckets make it easy and safe to dispose of ashes from your fireplace.
- Fireplace and hearth gloves keep your hands protected while you deal with logs, hot materials, etc.
- Fireplace cranes allow you to hang a cast iron pot above your fire for cooking.